1. Turn off your phone
2. Turn the phone on by either holding down the volume down button and power button at the same time OR by holding down the back button and power button at the same time.
3. When the screen comes up, it should say somewhere on the first line either 32A or 32B. THAT is your motherboard version. Remember it…
4. Turn off and on the phone.
5. Goto Settings > Applications > and make sure Unknown sources is checked ON.
1.Â Download this APK and the appropriate recovery image for your motherboard (32A or 32B) and save it to your computer:
FlashRec.apk (Updated: 09/26/09)
Amon Ra’s Recovery Image (32B)(Updated 11.18.09)
Amon Ra’s Recovery Image (32A)(Updated 11.18.09)
2. Once they are saved to your computer, copy them both to your SD card (do NOT put them inside any folders on the SD card, just put them on the SD card itself).
3. Unplug the phone from the computer once they are downloaded to the SD card.
4. Goto the Market and download Linda File Manager or any file manager program if you do not already have one.
5. Open the file manager and goto SDCard and then find the FlashRec apk file and click it. If asked tell it to use Package Installer to open it.Â It should automatically install the apk.
6. Open the FlashRec program and click on Backup Recovery Image and wait for it to finish.
7 (FOR 32A ONLY) Once done, click on the empty text box in the FlashRec program and type:
7 (FOR 32B ONLY) Once done, click on the empty text box in the FlashRec program and type:
8. Then click on the Flash Custom RecoveryImage button and wait for it to finish.
9. Turn off the phone and turn it on into Recovery mode by holding down Home and Power to turn it on (keep holding until the recovery screen comes up has a bunch of text on a black background). So long as that screen comes up, you have done it correctly and can now go on to the How to Load a ROM video for your appropriate device!
10. To get Root access you MUST go to the next video mentioned above and load a custom ROM.
Issue: I get Invalid Recovery Image when using the FlashRec program.
Solution: Make sure that the spell correction and auto completion are OFF in the Text Settings (Settings > Locale and Text > Touch Input > Text Input then turn off Prediction, spell correction, and word completion) of your phone. If not then it may put in spaces where they do not belong. (I had it put a space after .img and couldnâ€™t see it so couldnâ€™t figure out why it kept saying invalid recovery image, like you guys).
Other than that, just make sure it is on the root of the SD card (not in any folder) and that you are typing in the recovery name and filepath correctly.
Then and it should show Flash Recovery Image.
Issue: When I download the FlashRec.apk it shows up as a .zip not an apk.
Solution: No problem. Do NOT extract it, just simply replace the .zip with .apk and then proceed with the procedure.
Issue: I get backup failed or flash failed when I try to use the FlashRec progam.
Solution: This is most likely because you already have a custom recovery image, please use one of the unrooting procedures to get back to the original recovery image and THEN you can use this procedure.
Also, instead of doing that, if you have root access, you can just put the recovery image on your SD card then go into Terminal (download it from the Market if you donâ€™t already have it) and type:
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-dream-v1.2.3.img
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!