How To: Root Your Sprint HTC Hero
There is now a faster method to root using a new FlashRec app! Click here for the new procedure!
!UPDATE 12.01.09: If you went to the above procedure and it did not work for you, please use the procedure below.
Finally there is root access for the Sprint Hero! Here is a quick How To for everyone.
Thanks Zinx (ZenThought.org)
Thanks XDA-Developers (as always!)!
Thanks JManley69 for brining the procedure from Sprint Community!
Thanks Sprint Community!
I. Before You Begin
You need to be able to access the phone via ADB.
Follow this procedure to get ADB setup on your Hero.
How To Setup ADB/Install USB Drivers
If you have Windows 7 you can follow this procedure if the above one does not work to setup ADB:
How To Setup ADB in Windows 7
II. Root the CDMA Hero
1. Download the following file and then unzip it.
2. Take the unzipped file and save it into the Tools folder of your AndroidSDK.
3. Plug your phone in via USB and do NOT mount the SD card.
4. Open the Command Prompt and type the following (hitting enter at the end of every line):
And make sure your phone’s serial number pops up (if not redo section I).
5. Then type:
adb push asroot2 /data/local/
adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2
6. Then type:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cat sh > su
chmod 4775 su
All Done! You now have root access! Try to download a root program from the Market and see if it works
III. Flash a Custom Recovery Image (Optional. Only necessary for Flashing Custom ROMs)
1. After you have confirmed you have root access, you can flash a recovery image so you can flash custom ROMs.
2. Use this procedure to flash the Hero Recovery Image of your choice to the phone.
!UPDATE 12.01.09 – Sprint Hero Users – Flash THIS recovery image in the above procedure
Post if it works! Thanks!