1. This is how to root the HTC Desire, do NOT use this on any other phone!
2. This will erase all the data on your phone so please at least sync your contacts with Google before continuing.
1. Do our How To Create a Goldcard procedure and create a goldcard for your phone. Once you have it created, put the goldcard into the phone and come back to this procedure and continue.
1. Download the Rooting Tools
0.75.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.15.xxx.x or below – Desire Rooting Tools
If the above download is not suitable – if you have a bootloader version 0.80.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.21.xxx.x or below – Desire Rooting Tools
2. Unzip them to the C: drive on your computer (so the path is C:/r6-desire-root/)
3. Plug in your phone and mount the sd card.
4. Save the update.zip file from within the rooting tools folder on to the root of the sd card of your phone (NOT inside any folders just on the sd card itself). When done, unplug the phone.
5. Turn off your phone and turn it back on by holding down Back and Power until you see Fastboot come up on the screen. Push the Power button while highlighting Fastboot on the phone and Fastboot should show up in red now on the phone (if it doesn’t push Power again until it does).
6. Plug the phone in via USB cable to the computer.
7. Open the folder you extracted to the C drive and double click “step1-windows.bat” and wait for it to finish.
8. Once you see the menu on the phone come back up, navigate to BOOTLOADER and push power, then navigate to RECOVERY using the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select and the phone should boot to the ! screen.
9. On the phone push Volume Up and Power to get the menu to show up.
10. Now you should see a recovery screen menu, navigate to Wipe and select it. Then navigate to Wipe data/factory reset and select that.
11. Once that is done, go back to the main menu and select Apply sdcard:update.zip and wait for it to flash. All done, you have root access and can use any root required app! Enjoy!
1. Head over to our How To Load a Custom ROM on the HTC Desire procedure and continue with that to load custom ROMs and other fun stuff!
Thanks to Paul at Modaco for his awesome scripts!
Issue: My phone is SIM locked now!
Solution: Simply go to the next procedure and load a custom ROM to fix this.