1. YOU MUST BE ON VERSION 1.31 IN ORDER TO ROOT THE LEGEND, IF YOU ARE NOT YOU CAN DOWNGRADE USING THIS PROCEDURE.
2. This will erase all the data on your phone so please at least sync your contacts with Google before continuing.
3. You must have HTC Sync version 2.0.33, not a newer version. Uninstall HTC Sync and install this version instead.
1. Do our How To Create a Goldcard procedure and create a goldcard for your phone. Once you have it created, put the goldcard into the phone and come back to this procedure and continue.
1. Download the Rooting Tools
Legend Rooting Tools
2. Unzip them to the C: drive on your computer (so the file path is C:\r4-legend-root\)
3. Turn off your phone and turn it back on by holding down Back and Power until you see Fastboot come up on the screen. Push the Power button while highlighting Fastboot on the phone and Fastboot should show up in red now on the phone (if it doesn’t push Power again until it does).
4. Plug the phone in via USB cable to the computer.
5. Open the folder you extracted to the C drive and double click “step1-windows.bat” and wait for it to finish.
6. Once you see the menu on the phone come back up, navigate to BOOTLOADER and push power, then navigate to RECOVERY using the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select and the phone should boot to the ! screen.
7. Now on the computer double click the “step2-windows.bat” file and wait for it to finish. (UPDATE 12.13.10 – You MUST have HTC Sync version 2.0.33 not a newer version for step2 to work. Please uninstall HTC Sync and download and install this version instead, unplug then plug your phone back in, then rerun step2-windows.bat).
8. Now you should see a custom recovery screen, using the optical trackpad navigate to Wipe and push on the trackpad to select it. Then navigate to Wipe data/factory reset and select that.
9. Once that is done, push volume down to go back to the main menu and select Flash zip from sdcard and select the rootedupdate.zip file and wait for it to flash. All done, you have root access and can use any root required app! Enjoy!
1. Head over to our How To Load a Custom ROM on the HTC Legend procedure and continue with that to load custom ROMs and other fun stuff!
Thanks to Paul at Modaco for his awesome scripts!
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!