1. An explanation of what S OFF is and why you might want it - S Off means security off for your HBoot mode (aka Bootloader). The bootloader is what allows you to flash updates and write to the file system of your phone. By turning the Security OFF, we can flash any updates/ROMs we want without the phone checking to see if it is an official update or not.
2. You MUST have done our Temporary Rooting Method before coming to this method.
3. This ONLY works on T-Mobile MyTouch 4G’s that have gotten the OTA. You can check by going to Settings > About Phone > Firmware and your Android Version should read 2.2.1 or higher! If you are Android 2.2, either just wait for Android 2.2.1 to automatically come to your phone OR download this file save it to the root of your sd card and then turn off your phone and turn it back on holding down Volume Down and Power and then apply the update when asked. After that, you can continue with this procedure.
Thanks to Grankin01 for his rooting scripts!
1. Download the rooting files from here.
2. Extract the files somewhere to your computer.
3. Plug your phone in via USB cable and mount the SD card so we can transfer files to it.
4. Copy the entire root folder from inside the extracted folder from step 2 to the root of your sd card on your phone (NOT in any folders, just on the SD card itself).
5. Unplug the phone.
6. Go to the Market on your phone and download/install Android Terminal Emulator (free).
4. Open the Terminal Emulator app and type the following with hitting enter at the end of each line (to get the touch screen keyboard to come up hit the menu button then toggle soft keyboard):
5. Now, wait for it to finish.
6. After that is done, reboot the phone. When it boots back up, turn it off and back on holding down Volume Down and Power until the HBoot screen comes up. Confirm it says S-OFF at the top. If so, you have S-OFF.
10. Now, to get permanent root, turn the phone back on to get to the normal home screen.
11. Open Visionary and Uncheck TempRoot on Boot and click Temproot Now.
12. Then select Attempt Perm Root Now and the phone should reboot.
13. Once the phone reboots, open Terminal Emulator on the phone and type su and hit enter. If you get the # symbol, you have permanent root access and S-OFF, enjoy!
1. Head to our How To Load a Custom ROM on the T-Mobile MyTouch 4G / HTC Glacier procedure.
If this procedure helped you, please consider donating to the original developer or at least sending them a thank you.
Now that you are rooted, head here to learn some of the fun things you can do!
For all the devices we have rooting procedures for, head here.