How To: Root the HTC Droid Eris (Unrevoked Method)
I. Before You Begin
1. This is the easiest method available to root.
2. This method will also flash a custom recovery image so you can start flashing ROMs immediately.
3. This should work on all Android versions up to, and including, Android 2.2 (Froyo).
4. Install HTC Sync if you haven’t already THEN Uninstall it (it will leave behind some drivers we need but we need it to not be installed when we do the rooting process).
II. Root and Flash a Custom Recovery Image
1. Download the Unrevoked Rooting App
2. Install the HBoot Drivers: click here and download the drivers and install them manually.
3. Once the drivers are successfully installed, double click the Reflash program to open it.
4. Once the driver is successfully installed, turn off the phone by taking out the battery and putting it back in. Then push power to turn it on and get it to the normal home screen.
5. On your computer, right click the Reflash file and run as administrator. It should open Unrevoked and say “waiting for device”.
6. On your phone, click Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > and make sure USB Debugging is checked ON.
7. Plug in your phone into your computer via usb cable. 8. It should automatically locate your phone that is plugged in and you can just follow the prompts to continue. 9. Done! You are rooted and have a custom recovery image!
III. (Optional) Load a Custom ROM
1. Head over to our How To Load a Custom ROM procedure. Big thanks to the Unrevoked Team!