Universal Rooting App Procedure (Z4Root) (Updated 09/08/12)
Universal Method Disclaimer: This is a universal method. Feel free to try it but if it does NOT work for you, simply head to our How To section and look for your specific phone to see if we have a different procedure for your device and try that instead. Good luck!
I. Before You Begin
1. This method is reported to gain permanent root access on the following devices but might work on other devices as well. Try it out!:
Samsung Galaxy S (All variants)
Galaxy 3 I5800
Cricket Huawei Ascend
Droid 1 (Non Froyo Versions)
Garmin Asus A50
Motorola Milestone 2
X10 Mini Pro
Smartq v7 android 2.1
2. This will NOT work on the following devices:
Desire (requires nand unlock)
Desire HD (requires nand unlock)
Evo (requires nand unlock)
G2 (requires nand unlock)
Archos 70 (unknown)
myTouch 3G (unknown)
MyTouch Slide (requires nand unlock)
Thanks to RyanZA for this amazing app! If you enjoy it, please head here to thank/donate him!
II. Root your phone.
1. Download the Z4 Root app either from the Market (if it is available) or download it from here (link updated 09/08/12) and use a file manager (Linda file manager or Astro file manager from the Market) to install it.
2. Plug your phone in via USB cable and mount the storage so we can transfer files to it.
3. Copy the .apk file over to the root of your sd card (not in any folder just on the sd card itself).
3. Download a file manager from the Market then open it and search for the z4 root apk file.
4. Install z4 root.
5. Open z4 root and click Root. Done!
III. (Optional) Install a Custom Recovery Image.
1. If you want to install a custom recovery image, head to our universal procedure here.