How To: Load a Custom ROM on the HTC G1/Dream
THIS METHOD IS OBSOLETE, PLEASE HEAD TO OUR UNIVERSAL ROOTING METHODS TO ROOT YOUR DEVICE, THEN HEAD TO THE MARKET AND DOWNLOAD ROM MANAGER TO FLASH A CUSTOM RECOVERY, THEN YOU CAN HEAD TO OUR ROMS SECTION TO PICK A ROM TO FLASH.
I. Before You Begin
THIS PROCEDURE DOES NOT WORK ON THE ROGERS DREAM! DO NOT USE IT!
II. Partition Your Memory Card for Hero ROMs, Swap, and Apps2SD –
1. With your phone STILL in recovery mode from the How To Flash a Custom Recovery procedure, click on Partition SD Card > Partition SD (this will erase everything off of your memory card).
2. When it asks you, select 96mbs for Swap, 512mbs for ext2 and fat32 for the remainder
3. Once it is done partitioning the memory card, click on Partition SD Card > SD: ext2 to ext3
III. Load the Latest Radio, SPL, and your First Custom ROM –
1. Download the custom Radio,SPL and a generic ROM for your device (you can change your ROM after this to whatever one you want, but load this one first as we need to load it to keep the recovery image flashed on the G1):
G1 Radio – Here
G1 HardSPL – Here
Generic G1 ROM w/ Root – Here
2. In the recovery screen on the phone (that the phone is still in from the first section), select USB-MS toggle to allow the memory card to be mounted.
3. Plug in your phone via usb cable and you should be able to access your memory card on the computer.
4. Save the G1 Radio, the G1 HardSPL, and the G1 Generic ROM (leave them all as .zip files) onto the root of the SD card (NOT in any folder, just on the memory card itself).
5. Once they are done transferring to the memory card, unplug the phone from the computer and click the home button on the phone to disable USB-MS toggle mode and get back to the recovery screen.
7. Once the recovery screen menu is up, click on Flash Zip on SDCard and select the RADIO .zip file (do NOT select ANY OTHER ONE, we need to flash the radio first!).
8. Once it is done, click Reboot System Now.
9. Once the device reboots, you should be back at the recovery screen. Click on Flash Zip from SDCard and now select the SPL .zip file (do NOT select ANY OTHER ONE, we need to flash the SPL second!).
10. Once it is done, click Reboot System Now.
11. Once the device reboots, you should be back at the recovery screen. Click on Wipe > Wipe Data / Factory Reset and wait for it to finish.
12. Once it is done wiping, click on Flash Zip from SDCard and now select the Generic ROM .zip file.
13. Once it is done, click Reboot System Now.
DONE! You are now Rooted with a generic custom ROM! Feel free to use any root required apps (including Wifi tethering, overclocking apps, etc.)!
If you want to load a different ROM simply follow these steps below…
IV. (Optional) Load a Different Custom ROM
1. Turn off the phone and then turn it back on by holding down Home and Power (keep holding them until you get to the recovery screen).
2. Select USB-MS Toggle.
3. Plug your phone into the computer via USB
4. Download whatever custom ROM you want from our G1 ROMs section here on our site and save it to the root of your sd card (NOT in any folder, just on the sd card itself).
5. Unplug the phone from the computer once it is done transferring.
6. Click the Home button on the phone to disable USB-MS Toggle.
7. Select Wipe > Wipe Data / Factory Reset and wait for it to finish.
8. Next, select Flash Zip from SDCard and select the new ROM’s .zip file.
9. Once it is done, select Reboot Device Now and you are done with your new ROM! Repeat Section IV whenever you want to load any other ROM as many times as you’d like!