PLEASE TRY OUR NEW, EASIER PROCEDURE AND SEE IF IT WORKS FOR YOU, IF NOT THEN COME BACK TO THIS PROCEDURE AND CONTINUE.
Here is the new Flashrec method to root your Sprint Hero in one click and flash a custom recovery image so you can start loading new ROMs!
I. Before Your Begin
1. THIS PROCEDURE IS FOR THE SPRINT HERO ONLY! IF YOU HAVE THE GSM HERO, PLEASE GOTO THIS PROCEDURE INSTEAD!
2. After you finish this procedure and have a custom recovery image, you must then goto the next procedure and load a custom ROM to get root access for applications etc. If you JUST want Root access and have no intention of Flashing ROMs then use this procedure instead.
II. Flash the Custom Recovery Image
1. On your phone, goto Settings, Applications, and make sure Unknown source is checked ON.
2. On your phone, goto Settings, SD card and phone storage, and click Unmount SD card.
3. Then click Format SD card (it should automatically remount after this).
4. Plug the phone into the compuer via USB, then pull down the notification bar and click on the SD card notification. Then click mount.
5. Download this APK and recovery image and save it to your computer:
6. UPDATE: Do NOT follow the video instructions from this point on (use them as a visual aid only!) We have recplaced the Cyanogen Recovery Image with the Amon Ra one so when it says anything about the Cyanogen Recovery Image, just ignore that and put the Amon Ra one in it’s place. This is VERY IMPORTANT when typing into the FlashRec program. You will NOT be typing what is written in the video, type what is written here in this procedure instead!
7. Save both the Recovery-RA-HEROC-v1.5.2.imgÂ and the FlashRec.apk to your computer, then copy them both to your SD card (do NOT put them inside any folders on the SD card, just put them on the SD card itself).
8. Unplug the phone from the computer once they are downloaded to the SD card.
8. Goto the Market and download Linda File Manager or any file manager program if you do not already have one.
9. Open the file manager and goto SDCard and then find the FlashRec apk file and click it. If asked tell it to use Package Installer to open it.Â It should automatically install the apk.
10. Open the FlashRec program and click on Backup Recovery Image and wait for it to finish.
11. Once done, click on the empty text box in the FlashRec program and type (again remember we have replaced the recovery image from the one in the video so type what is written here, NOT what is written in the video!):
Then click on the Flash Custom RecoveryImage button and wait for it to finish.
12. Turn off the phone and turn it on into Recovery mode by holding down Home and Power to turn it on (keep holding until the recovery screen comes up has a bunch of text on a black background). So long as that screen comes up, you have done it correctly and can now go on to theÂ How to Load a ROM video for your appropriate device!
13. To get Root access you MUST go to the next video mentioned below and load a custom ROM.
!UPDATE 01.10.10: If this method still does not work go to our old methodÂ for a longer but more effective method.
How To Root the Sprint Hero